The fresh freeze dried advantage
Many of the botanicals and phytonutrient-rich foods used in Terranova products are fresh freeze dried. Air, oven and spray drying - the standard commercial methods used to dry plant materials - can degrade important compounds and alter a plant’s delicate biochemical balance. On the other hand, research shows that fresh freeze drying actually protects and retains a plant’s potency, biochemical integrity and enzymatic activity. In fact, the biochemical profile of a fresh freeze dried plant very closely resembles the profile of the original fresh plant, but in a much greater concentration, due to the removal of the plant’s moisture content. In other words, Terranova fresh freeze dried botanicals are a highly concentrated version of the original fresh plant. Due to their powerful synergistic impact in Magnifood, fresh freeze dried plants have always profoundly enhanced the effect of Terranova products. And their remarkable properties are featured even more prominently in our ranges of fresh freeze dried super-blend powders, single botanicals in capsules and the new Intense Super-Shakes.
- fresh freeze drying retains virtually all of the original biochemical integrity of a fresh plant, including the enzymatic activity
- fresh freeze drying prevents most enzymatic/chemical changes associated with other drying methods that can reduce activity and alter biochemical balance
- fresh freeze drying typically allows plants to retain potency and shelf stability for longer than other drying methods
- fresh freeze drying produces ingredients with a high solubility, which may facilitate assimilation of the plant’s nutrients and other important compounds within the digestive tract
- fresh freeze drying produces highly porous and brittle plant material, which can be milled into powder (i.e. for encapsulation) without generating destructive levels of heat or friction