Have you ever tried packing a salad for your work lunch, and by the time noon comes around it is already a soggy mess? Or does the thought of even having to prepare your lunch to-go feel like a burden?
Your solution: mason jar meals!
This is a super easy and fun way to pack a healthy lunch on the go, and keep your greens fresh and crisp until lunch time.
In general, preparing and packing your meals in advance has many benefits:
- Save time: Prepare all your meals for the work week at one time, and store them in air-tight mason jars to keep them fresh
- Save money: Instead of ordering take out, you will save money by shopping for and preparing your own delicious lunches
- Make healthy choices: You are more likely to make healthy choices if you have the options ready in front of you!
- Easy clean up and recycling: Using a mason jar is an eco-friendly way to store and carry your meals on the go, and are easy to clean and reuse as opposed to plastic lunch containers.
How to layer your mason jar meal:
- Start with the dressing: Always add your dressing first, on the bottom of the jar! Try pesto, mustard, balsamic vinaigrette, olive oil and lemon juice, champagne vinaigrette, nutritional yeast, lime juice or a dill yogurt sauce.
- Pro tip: Mix in a capsule of your favorite Terranova products! We love adding our fresh freeze-dried ginger, garlic, astragalus, elderberry & garlic complex, or one of our favorite vitamins or minerals.
- Next, fill with hard veggies: Cabbage, broccoli slaw, shaved carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, onions, corn, chives
- Add your protein: Hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken, salmon, tuna, mozzarella balls, chickpeas, edamame, black beans, kidney beans, white beans, tofu, tempeh, cheddar cheese
- Add a “grain”, nuts and seeds: Quinoa, brown rice, bulger wheat, farro, riced cauliflower, cashews, roasted almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, chia seeds, hemp seeds, avocado
- Lastly, fill your jar to the top with a leafy green and herbs: Arugula, mesclun, mixed greens, romaine, baby spinach, fresh basil, mint, parsley, dill
Here is one of our favorite filling, satisfying jar meals for you to try!
Base: Cracked bulger wheat
Veggies: Red and yellow cherry tomatoes, romaine lettuce, arugula, sliced red onions, sliced avocado
Protein: Grilled tofu
Dressing: Olive oil and lime vinaigrette with a capsule of Terranova fresh freeze-dried ginger and garlic!
Just give it a shake when you’re ready to eat and mix all the ingredients together. Enjoy!